Saturday, June 23, 2012

State Photos 3



This one is perhaps a floral theme, on a canvas that is 30" on a side, a fairly large size for me.

I chose a discarded blouse to make a transfer, scanned it. Blew these up to various sizes, and xeroxed those images while moving them in a copy machine. It's a square format, which is something I haven't been using; I bought a whole bunch of square canvases recently.
STATE 1. I created a quinachridone background and put some white forms on two sides with some orange ripples. I added cadmium red to the outer areas. This will turn out to be the final orientation. The colors are glorious in a lurid sort of way, but too easy. I like but distrust them, I will now make problems for myself.
STATE 2. Acrylic transfer. I experimented with putting a layer of matte gel on the paper before applying white paint. I wanted some of the white areas to hide the paint underneath, in some areas I wanted to keep it transparent. I also wanted the paint to grip the toner better when I removed the paper. The matte gell seemed to help suppress the worried look.

Right now, I'm working with this orientation.

(note that I don't always put a layer of paint on, sometimes I want the paint underneath to show through the blank areas of the transfer)

STATE 3.  I go over all the dark lines with black, modify some areas, and do a lot of overpainting.  It's starting to get a pretty finished look, and I work to exhaustion and miss lunch, because it is getting clerer and clearer to me and I can't stop.  I think of the lurid, sexy and sort of over the top hot pinks and reds, and free-associate with the Runaway's Cherry Bomb.  I think it needs a final touch, to balance the composition and I actually add a cherry shape (small circle in the uppor right quadrant).


I then think about it for a coule of days and  reach the realization that that last addition, with a heavy black circle in it DOES balance the composition.  But it also STOPS the eye dead in its tracks!
OH NO.

STATE 4. I sand out the offending shape and replace it with a deeper red leaving a faint trace of it, and do a lot of adjusting for the completed painting.

State Photos 2: Blue Devil

In the idea for this painting I very early wanted to have a deep ultramarine background, and a worried surface of fromed from a limited palette of  blue (ultramarine and cyan) , chartreuse, red, white and black.  I chose some vigorously distorted images to transfer, and much of them with opaque white before transfer, to preserve their intensity.

I built a number of images by scanning and moving in a xerox machine.  I pieced these together with tape covered them with titanium white and transfered them over the blue.

STATE 1. Background.  Manipulated images covered with white paint and transfered to the painting, original paper has been removed.  A couple of raw spots where the transfer peeled off near the center are an opportunity to replace portions with a free invention of my own.


STATE 2. Filled in some areas. The white showed through in places where the transfer rubbed off. I want to keep some, but not all of that weathered effect. Cleaned up the colors with layers of paint, especially the red areas--with pure cadmium red.  Dripped some manganese blue hue in upper left. Added bright red in the lower right.


STATE 3. Added some additional drips to the (then) upper left (now lower right). Rotated canvas.  Added some areas of freely painted forms, as well as glazing or covering the original transferred colors., most notably the violent red and blue form in the center.

STATE 4.  Rotated back, which will now be the final orientation of the finished painting.  from this point on, there is a tremendous amount of adjusting going on, but it is extremely subtle: adding white, minutely adjusting edges, making the flow look more liquid--in some cases by incorporating dripped paint.

STATE 5.

STATE 6.
Blue Devil


State Photos

I have done several pieces recently that have gone through a number of stages.  This particular painting has gone through a lot.
STATE !. Initial state, underpainting and transferred Chinese newspapers

STATE 2. Transferred layers of acrylic skin.

STATE 3.  Started integrating into forms.  Overlaid acrylic transfer of black patterns.



STATE 4. Started intensifying some of the colors.  Sand and repaint areas.

STATE 5. Added some black on white stripes, increasing the dimensionality of the central forms.  Adding black in some of the negative space.

STATE 6.  Final state.

Saturday, June 2, 2012